Our teams are putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We provide services to partner clients globally via our innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), this drives our highly automated, multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs). In our CFCs - together with the proprietary software applications - we operate a world-class online grocery business that automates the single pick of products, ready for your online delivery.
As a Software Engineer you will join a team of around 4 engineers responsible for the maintenance and development of new and existing applications, this includes the architecture, design, implementation and support.
The team is responsible for greenfield and brownfield solutions. These solutions cover three main categories as following:
- A mock warehouse is used by clients to test the integration of their applications with the Ocado warehouse system. This solution emulates the APIs exposed in our warehouse system, allowing them to test stocking, picking and outloading from a virtual warehouse before the physical warehouse is built. This tool is critical for new client onboarding and ongoing support for the client’s software development
- A central "site definition" service, that provides the CFC applications the location and capability attributes for all physical devices in a warehouse
- A service that provides attributes for up to 400k SKUs used by applications in our warehouses, plus associated supporting tools
Technologies: Java, DynamoDB, SNS/SQS, API Gateway
You will be (accountabilities)
- You are expected to build robust reliable software which is high-performing and within the scope of the defined requirements.
- You will work within an Agile framework that is delivering high business value to our clients in a timely fashion.
- Your responsibilities will include peer reviews to ensure quality of work, open honest feedback to your team for career progression purposes, continuous improvements to processes to keep us present.
- You will be expected to join the 24*7 support rota.
- You will be expected to work with autonomy delivering for your team high quality code.
- You will report to an Engineering Team Leader (ETL).
About you (experience we seek)
- You have Java, Spring , AWS, GitLab experience
- Experience developing software solutions in a team environment
- Experience using Agile methodologies
- Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar Technology degree
- Strong verbal and written communication in English
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We regularly review our benefits to ensure we are supporting our employees appropriately.
- 30 days ‘working from anywhere in the world’ policy
- Wellbeing support through dedicated apps and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Generous Private Medical Insurance (within the first month of joining!)
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees (within the first month of joining!)