Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retail clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Kroger to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in the United States through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
In addition to Ocado Solutions operations for Kroger in the US, Ocado has a number of subsidiaries, both in the US and Canada. Ocado Solutions Canada has partnered with Sobeys to deliver automated grocery delivery in Canada and Ocado Intelligent Automation is a global provider of automated storage and retrieval systems in the non-grocery sector. Ocado offers additional advanced storage and retrieval robotics to customers through its subsidiaries 6 River Systems, Kindred and Haddington Dynamics.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
The Senior Counsel, North America reports to the Vice President of Legal, North America and will advise Ocado and its executive leadership on key legal aspects regarding its business operations in North America. Primary responsibilities will involve acting as the lead in-house lawyer to Ocado’s subsidiaries 6 River Systems, Kindred and Haddington. Additionally, the Senior Counsel, North America will work closely with the Head of Legal, Commercial in the UK and other members of the UK legal team to ensure timely delivery of Ocado’s projects in North America.
Daily Senior Counsel, North America duties may involve:
- Advising on, drafting and negotiating contracts and master services agreements for the delivery of robotics hardware, software and maintenance services.
- Advising on, drafting and negotiating general commercial agreements.
- Reviewing and advising on Nondisclosure Agreements.
- Advising senior management on key legal issues and risks.
- Staying up to date on new industry developments.
- Working across multiple jurisdictions within North America.
- Selecting, managing and reviewing the work of outside counsel to ensure consistent and commercially sensitive advice.
The Senior Counsel, North America may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Licensed attorney admitted and in good standing in at least one state with a minimum of 7 years of experience;
- Ability to seek corporate counsel registrant admission in Virginia;
- Experience working with a leading law firm or a well-respected in-house team with a particular focus on commercial transactions in the technology sector;
- Demonstrable experience of working with senior management including at executive level and operating with broad latitude in complex environments;
- In-depth experience of domestic and cross border transactional drafting, negotiating, and advising on a wide variety of commercial contracts in respect of technology investments, engineering and IT procurement, design, manufacture, supply and licensing including master service agreements, collaboration agreements, general terms and conditions, SaaS subscription agreements, logistics & distribution agreements and e-commerce agreements.
- Ability to work across multiple US jurisdictions and, with local counsel, assist in Canadian transactions.
- Strong academic qualifications.
Preferred (in addition to minimum):
- Experience working with technology organizations and/or engineering would be valued;
- Experience working in the construction industry and familiarity with standard form
construction contracts like the AIA Contract Documents; and
- Previous experience within an in-house legal team.
- Clear drafting technique;
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, handling multiple competing priorities in a
fast paced, agile global environment;
- Ability to quickly understand complex issues, assess risk and apply sound judgment
and decision making in a commercially astute way when advising stakeholders across
- Personable, with the ability to work well within a team environment and build
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills;
- Can work to deadlines, prioritize effectively and manage competing demands from
- Ability to work and communicate with people at all levels from hands-on operational
workforces to board level;
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and get stuck into the work;
- Comfortable using a variety of IT software; and
Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
You will be based at Ocado’s US headquarters in McLean, Virginia.
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.