Founded in 2014, Kindred is a robotics and artificial intelligence (AI) company that develops robots to solve real-world problems. Its mission is to enhance the lives of human workers with the power of AI robotics. Kindred’s cutting-edge technology is the foundation of a number of proprietary platforms, including CORE with AutoGrasp™, developed to operate robots autonomously in dynamic environments. Its team of scientists, engineers and business operators have set a new standard for reinforcement learning for robots. The company is co-located in San Francisco and Toronto and is part of the UK-based Ocado Group plc.
Summary of role and responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of Accounting Operations North America, the Financial Accountant is a key Accounting team member (part of Ocado’s North America Accounting Team)
The Financial Accountant is responsible for timely and accurate customer invoicing, A/R collections, commission calculation, expense verification and assisting in the vendor payment process. The Financial Accountant will also assist in other day-to-day business accounting and finance activities.
In this role, I am accountable for:
- Evaluate contracts, review new sales orders and maintain the billing process for proper revenue treatments.
- Review new contract terms and validate contracts set up in Sage for accuracy of terms, including but not limited to invoice amount, frequency renewal and terminations.
- Maintain the billing file daily.
- Review the customer invoices raised out of Sage per the billing file.
- Analyze the Deferred Revenue waterfall/roll-off schedule supporting the total recorded deferred revenue balance.
- Analyze anticipated vs complete invoice status to identify exceptions.
- Key balance sheet reconciliations (AR / Def Rev / Commission accrual)
- Stay on top of customer collections. By working with the sales team and constantly communicate with the customer’s AP department to ensure timely payment of invoices.
- Assist in processing and posting A/P invoices and obtaining approvals.
- Review and process employee reimbursements.
- Assist in year-end audit, tax preparation, and other statutory filings
- Assist with additional projects as requested
- Building excellent relationships across Finance and Business, working to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Assisting in continuous improvement projects (including relevant systems) and testing (where required)
- Providing oversight, understanding variances, and proactively identifying problems and opportunities to standardize, streamline and improve processes and accuracy
- Driving the professionalization of Ocado reporting and raising the bar on quality
- Supporting internal control and audit processes and the safeguarding of Ocado assets
- Embedding a culture of controls within the team, responsible for operating effectiveness of all key controls within the department’s processes and remediation of any control weaknesses
- Championing Ocado’s values
- Other duties as assigned
What key business competencies will enable me to succeed in this role:
- Good experience in a global financial operations environment with a track record of delivering effectiveness, efficiency and compliance targets / SLAs
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Finance. Pursuing a CPA designation. Strong knowledge of IFRS
- 3+ years of accounting experience
- In-depth understanding of core financial processes and relevant systems preferred (Sage, Oracle Fusion, FCCS, EPBCS)
- Good knowledge of accounting, tax and reporting standards & principles,
- Experience in a fast-paced, high-growth, global organization
- Experience in delivering outstanding customer/user experience
- Experience in process improvement and automation
- Excellent excel skills
- Hands-on experience in a similar size company; “can-do” the mechanics of the function
- Strong analytic and organizational skills, attention to detail
- Outcome-focused: ability to prioritize critical activities to achieve outcomes
- Have a continuous improvement mindset to continually drive efficiency and performance
- Ability to collaborate with peers, members of management and cross-functional team
- Ability to build trusted relationships with their stakeholders. Become a trusted partner to stakeholders
- Experience with supply chain, fulfillment, or manufacturing preferred