We have an exciting new opportunity for a Senior Project Engineer to join our Central Engineering team on a permanent basis, based in Hatfield. (Hybrid Working)
This is a senior project engineering role which includes engineering and project management responsibilities varying based on the type of project they are working on. You work on different types and sizes of engineering implementation projects e.g. product upgrade (workpack) roll-out, new product retrofit and new automated warehouse build projects. Broadly, you manage the implementation of OSP products, product upgrades and associated supporting infrastructure to new and existing Ocado automated warehouses on a global scale.
As an important part of the project team, you work closely with different internal and external stakeholders, changing with the type of the project, including the client’s technical team and Ocado’s internal departments such as Programme Management, Product Development, Design, Engineering, Supply Chain and Operations to successfully deliver the project.
Additionally, as a senior engineer, you are also a key contributor to your team and department’s delivery. In this role, you will be a go-to person in your team, with deep expertise, strong problem solving and knowledge sharing. You will be working with others to find great solutions and taking an active role in decision making across your team and department. You will be responsible for identifying process improvements, championing implementation of best practices across the team, supporting team leaders in driving the team towards delivering goals, and mentoring junior members of the team.
- Be the bridge alongside Product Specialists between product development/engineering and your project, ensuring products, product changes and the associated impact to new and existing sites are understood and implemented seamlessly.
- Be the client-facing technical point of contact on behalf of the project team for new products and engineering challenges. Understand client needs, support creation of user requirements and communicate effectively with the project team and the client.
- Work with the Material Handling Equipment (MHE),IT Infrastructure and other Subject Matter Expert’s (SME) team within Central Engineering to ensure a complete BOM is provided to the Supply Chain for procurement and manufacturing for each project.
- Support Supply Chain and project teams for technical queries within engineering context.
- Develop workpacks to roll out product upgrades at sites in the most efficient and cost-effective manner, i.e. consolidating where appropriate to maximise product uptime.
- Provide complete and comprehensive handover packs for regional delivery teams to roll out. Support regional delivery teams during install, commissioning and testing phases with engineering related issue resolution.
- Develop other engineers around you into more capable and experienced people.
- Provide mentorship and coaching for others across your department on technical craft.
- Manage upwards effectively, ensuring Team Leader or Engineering Manager are informed of progress, celebrate team successes and make key risks visible.
- Actively build good relationships and trust between the team and other stakeholders, embedding a ‘one Ocado’ approach.
- Guide project activities and communicate outcomes effectively.
- Apply breadth or depth of experience to prepare your department for future endeavours.
- Look for multiple ways to solve problems and communicate effectively the benefits and drawbacks of each.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the technology and project management methodology that the team are working on & able to act as a proxy for other stakeholders, where expertise is needed.
This role may be required to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This role description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties.
- You have the aptitude to debate both technical and commercial topics, challenge expert opinions and influence others.
- You are keen to learn from experience and feedback.
- You contribute actively and enthusiastically.
- You don't settle for good enough, you strive for great in every aspect of your work.
- You are flexible and adapt to changing information quickly, able to take into account key trade-offs.
- You have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism.
- You are logical and take a structured approach, including in situations of ambiguity.
- You have strong analytical, planning and organisational skills.
- You actively participate in teaching or mentoring..