Senior Machine Learning Developer - Product
About the job
Founded in 2014, Kindred is a robotics and artificial intelligence (AI) company that develops robots to solve real-world problems. Its mission is to enhance the lives of human workers with the power of AI robotics. Kindred’s cutting-edge technology is the foundation of a number of proprietary platforms, including CORE with AutoGrasp™, developed to operate robots autonomously in dynamic environments. Its team of scientists, engineers and business operators have set a new standard for reinforcement learning for robots. The company is co-located in San Francisco and Toronto and is part of the UK-based Ocado Group plc.
As a Senior Machine Learning Developer on the Software Product Engineering team, you will have the exciting opportunity to design, adapt, and maintain machine vision deep learning solutions that are backed by a robust software platform and integrate with complex hardware components within robotic pick-and-place systems. You will navigate and reconcile considerations for immediate and future product needs, encompassing but not limited to scalability, maintainability, performance, accuracy, reliability, security, safety, compliance, cost, and robustness, even in situations where the requirements may be unclear or evolving. You’ll collaborate cross-functionally with roboticists, software and machine learning developers, hardware engineers, quality assurance, researchers, and product managers & support experts in Toronto and other offices. You’ll develop solutions in our lab, define validation testing routines, cut releases, and deploy, experiment, monitor, RCA, and optimise them on our fleet of robots. In this role, you will be part of an on-call rotation in order to service our customers.
What you bring:
- 5 or more years of professional experience in machine learning frameworks/libraries, data pre-processing, feature engineering, model training/tuning/evaluation, A/B experimentation, large-scale data analysis/visualisation platforms, and deploying solutions on both edge and cloud-native architectures
- Advanced level comprehension of the mathematical, probabilistic, and statistical underpinnings of machine learning algorithms
- Active awareness of the latest developments in applied machine learning and excitement in discovering innovative solutions to improve product capabilities
- Capacity to tackle varied challenges and adaptable to changing priorities, balancing a long-term mission with short-term requirements
- Ability to motivate, grow, and mentor other team members, interns, and peers
- Value collaborative over individual ways of working and are comfortable being challenged by others
- Ability to develop Python code that is clear, efficient, and maintainable within time and resource constraints on Linux
- Complete familiarity with modern software development processes such as design documentation, code reviews, CI/CD, testing, project management workflow, and source control conventions
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, communication, and organisation skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Additional breadth or depth of experience in programming languages and paradigms. We use Go and C++ and trust you can learn what you need
- Proficiency in Tensorflow or PyTorch and NumPy or pandas
- Can learn fast, and are flexible working with different problem domains and projects
- Background in robotic manipulation, simulations, full-stack & API development, machine vision, and deep learning
Even if you don’t know everything above, we still want to hear from you!