Ocado is a technology-led, global software and robotics platform providing a unique end-to-end solution for customers on a global scale. As part of growing the Ocado business, we have recently announced a new mission to sell our unique OSRS (Ocado Storage and Retrieval System) product set to customers across the globe.
About the role
This is an opportunity for a Commercial Operations Manager to join the team, partnering with Sales and Product to support the execution of profitable deals and thus drive the commercial success of this project.
The ideal candidate will have previously worked in a business development-esque environment, is competent in the reviewing and writing of contract documentation and has previously worked with project budgets and P&Ls
You should be an exceptional internal and external relationship builder, energised by working on high profile projects and are both highly analytical and pragmatic. You will possess foundational technical knowledge and be a proven problem solver. Comfortable with high degrees of ambiguity? Perfect! Your ability to take ownership in uncertain scenarios will set you apart.
- Lead the definition and upkeep of generic services pricing, including determination of margin targets, working with sales and finance teams.
- Lead and/or review specific deal or variation pricing and margin determination, sensitivity analyses and risk and opportunity modelling, working with sales and finance teams.
- Lead the definition of generic commercial terms, their continuous improvement and extension to include new products and services. This includes detailed knowledge of OIA contracts for equipment purchase, software supply and ongoing maintenance and customer support contracts. Oversee the revision of said documents and associated negotiation playbooks
- Lead and/or review proposed commercial terms for specific deals (proposed by Ocado teams or potential customers). Negotiate contract amendments, or amendments to customer contracts to incorporate Ocado’s desired terms (in conjunction with legal team) including post-contract variations
- Support client engagement and sales activity; feeding back from commercial negotiations to the product/solutions teams and support internal discussions around proposition & promise.
- Manage risks and issues and create effective escalations where required.
- Support OIA business evaluation of alternative sales routes (e.g. via integrators) including proposing and reviewing commercial terms, pricing, and the creation and negotiation of any resulting contracts.
- Ensure adherence to OIA business and sales governance, including support of go/no-go decision forums where responsibilities include ultimate recommendation to SLT of whether to proceed with a deal or not.
- Identify, verify and influence key internal stakeholders (up to senior-director level) ensuring alignment on specific commercial initiatives or deals.
- Preparing communication materials and supporting communication events (i.e Executive Updates / Board Meetings, etc.)
- Excellent communicator
- Credible, confident and polished presenter
- Strong commercial awareness and financial literacy
- You can adapt style and approach to different stakeholders, clients and situations
- Very strong relationship-building skills at all levels in an organisation
- Ability to operate at a macro/strategic level as well as understand and ‘dive in’ to detail, when required
- Ability to work independently and to take full responsibility for scope of role
- Experience working in a technical discipline or you can demonstrate understanding of challenging technical concepts
- Experienced in working with contracts
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We regularly review our benefits to ensure we are supporting our employees appropriately.
- 30 days ‘working from anywhere in the world’ policy
- Wellbeing support through dedicated apps and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Generous Private Medical Insurance (within the first month of joining!)
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees (within the first month of joining!