Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies , working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of society.
Data already powers insights, products and capabilities in every part of Ocado Technology but we’re really just getting started. We are looking to expand our Data Engineering team focussing on the LSC stream with the mission to serve reliable and relevant product data to internal and external customers. This is important to help product managers make better decisions on how to take LSC capabilities to the next level, whether this is about improving our last mile delivery optimisation or supply chain demand forecasting. We also want to provide high quality data feeds to the retailers using our platform, enabling end-to-end visibility of the logistics and supply chain processes and driving improvements to their business and customer service.
The Data Engineer’s role is to design, build and maintain scalable, robust and performant data pipelines and related systems that meet technical and functional requirements. Data engineering work takes place fully in GCP with pre-ingested data coming from our applications.
- Influence design decisions by evaluating the objectives and constraints of the system, considering the trade-offs of different possible solutions, etc.
- Demonstrate and advocate good (data) engineering practices minimising future technical debt
- Prototyping solutions using appropriate technologies
- Support production pipelines and client-facing data feeds, participating in the on-call support rota of the LSC Data Engineering team
- Work collaboratively with Product Analysts, Data Scientists, Product Managers and Software Engineers to understand data requirements
We would also expect you to:
- Embrace change and solve problems that could prevent us from reaching our goals
- Collaborate with any colleagues / stakeholders as needed
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
We would like to hear from you if you:
- Demonstrable enterprise experience with data engineering and data modelling and Python
- Strong SQL knowledge and experience
- Knowledge and experience of building and supporting production ETL/ELT pipelines
- Know the latest data tooling in the cloud space (ideally GCP)
- Have experience with agile planning and delivery
- Experience of trying, failing, learning and succeeding
Bonus points if you also have experience in some or all of the following areas (in no particular order):
- dbt and Looker
- Data Observability
- Defining and measuring data quality
What we offer you:
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We regularly review our benefits to ensure we are supporting our employees appropriately. Currently, we offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Permanent Contract
- Multi-Sport Card
- Medical Insurance
- Life assurance
- Lunch Vouchers
- Training and Development opportunities
If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
#LI-HYBRID #LI-OT #LI-KP1