Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Kroger to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in the United States through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
A Shift Lead provides assistance to the Engineering Team Manager to ensure daily operation is running smoothly. He/She also acts as a backup when ETMs are not available.
The Shift Lead’s day-to-day responsibilities include:
Key focus areas:
● Promote a safe work culture by being a champion of safe work practices.
● Execute the corrective actions to improve KPIs set by the ETM. Monitor daily engineering KPIs, including fault reduction and elimination.
● Day to day ad hoc leadership of team members including prioritization and allocation of workload during the hours when ETM is not on site; deploying labor based on the demands and requirements of the task against the competency and capability of resources.
● You will be assigned an area for your direct work by the ETM.
Day to day responsibilities:
● Support objective/corrective actions determined during daily safety meetings led by the Engineering Operations Team Manager.
● Align priorities and monitor KPIs to support the Client providing optimized service for its end customers.
● Champion safe working practices and assist ETM with expedited investigations and corrective actions.
● Tackle day to day operations issue
● Escalate issues as required
● Ensure 5S and cleanliness and end of shift
Day to day responsibilities when ETM is not onsite:
● Follow up on the work assigned by the ETM regarding PM and overdue WOs
● Generate benchmark report for any incidents
● Touch base with grid operators before ad hoc recovery window
● Plan ad hoc recovery window based on HC, oversee recovery window from MA and provide necessary support
● Plan for ad hoc overtime to cover unplanned absence.
● Act as a liaison with the Client for any issues
● Participate in the start of the shift Handover meeting with the Outgoing Shift Lead or ETM to take over responsibilities.
● Conduct and lead start of shift tool box talk with team
● Fill out fire roll call and make sure team is aware of their sweeping areas during fire evacuation
● In case of fire evacuation be a point of contact for Client and city fire department
● Working closely with Customers’ Inbound, Pick, Dispatch areas, and other support teams
on a daily basis to ensure direction of labor, and planned engineering activities to fully support Ocado’s assets and the Customer’s daily operational goals.
● Create shift report
● Participate in the end of the shift Handover meeting with the Incoming ing Shift Lead or ETM to handover responsibilities.
● Re-assign work areas or tasks as required
● Communicate with Client manager if any ad-hoc recovery window is required
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you must meet the following requirements:
● Degree from a vocational school or college with a focus in the Mechanical or
Electrical field; Minimum 3 years of Ocado experience (for internal postings only); Minimum of 5 years of experience in a mechanical, electrical, or mechatronics field, preferably in an automation environment.
● Strong electrical experience preferable within a FMCG environment;
● Knowledge / experience of working with controls, analyzing faults and providing solutions
● Experience of both reactive and preventative maintenance;
● Experience working in a Lead role is preferable
● Good technical ability relating to automation hardware and software would be an asset
● Strong organization and communication skills and the ability to work in a
multi-disciplined team of varying levels of technical experience;
● Must be comfortable working at heights.
● Ability to work with a limited degree of supervision.
● Sound analytical skills with an eye for detail; good problem solving ability and a practical approach.
● Experience of working with computerized maintenance management systems is preferred
● Numerate and PC literate including G-Suite and MS Office programs.
● Flexible to working a shift-based pattern including nights and weekends
This shift pattern provides 3 days off & 4 days off each alternative week. Employees are provided 3 days off prior to switching from day to night shifts.
Please note shift patterns may change as per business need
● Ascending or descending ladders and stairs.
● Moving between worksites to accomplish tasks in tight and confined spaces.
● Remaining in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for a prolonged period.
● Adjusting or moving objects up to 30 pounds in all directions. Work that includes moving objects up to 100 pounds or more.
● Communicating with others to exchange information.
● Low temperatures and noisy environments.
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.