Our teams are putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We provide services to partner clients globally via our innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), this drives our highly automated, multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs). In our CFCs - together with the proprietary software applications - we operate a world-class online grocery business that automates the single pick of products, ready for your online delivery.
About the role
As the Lead Estimator you will manage a team providing cost estimates for the installation, maintenance and operation of our proprietary technology solutions in client warehouses. You will ensure estimates are provided in a timely manner and of the required level of accuracy to a range of stakeholders and for a number of use cases. The cost estimates will support client sales opportunities, contract negotiations, project budget and forecasts.
What will you do
- Day to day leadership of estimating team including but not limited to, resource allocation and levelling, setting and monitoring objectives, creating personal development plans, providing clear guidance, direction and, where necessary, decision making
- Provide global commercial and project teams with estimates, budgets and studies for projects and potential projects, from pre-deal through to project completion, for end to end installation of Ocado MHE (Material Handling Equipment) technology solutions
- Provide estimates, budgets and studies for retrofit projects, including NPI (New Product Introduction), upgrades and increases in capacity
- Provide estimates, budgets and studies for the maintenance and repair of Ocado MHE technology solutions installed in client sites across the globe
- Where appropriate, provide recommendations to project teams on most cost effective delivery methods
- Provide resource estimates to support operational department budgeting and project forecasts against future sales plans
- Define estimating methodologies, ensuring they are sustainable and repeatable
- Define and maintain inputs, work packages, variables, default values and assumptions to estimating tools and models
- Collaborate with Commercial Operations, Product Manager, Programme Management and Supply Chain Analysts to understand estimation requirements and sources of estimating model inputs
- Develop and maintain estimating tools and models to allow for the creation of accurate and reliable estimates and project budgets
- Work with Project Management to monitor actuals for scope, resource, schedule and cost, analysing any variation from the OPB (Original Project Budget)
- Own, from conception through to realisation, change projects that update estimating tools, models and assumptions in order to improve accuracy
- Report on cost down goals and track realisation of cost savings resulting from change projects
- Support supplier pre-qualification, tendering and drafting and evaluation of contracts
We’d love to talk to you if you have...
- 8+ years of experience in a similar role
- Proven experience with leading a team
- Experience working in the Engineering, Construction or Manufacturing sector
- Knowledge and experience of modelling techniques
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills, with a demonstrated ability to interpret complex data
- Schedule, budget, requirements and risk management
- Detail-oriented and organised, with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritise tasks effectively
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams
- IT literate - Google Workplace and MS Office applications (Inc MS Project, PowerPoint & Excel proficiency). Google Software Suite
Bonus points if you also have…
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Project Management or equivalent
- Experience with EVMS (Earned Value Management Systems)
- Contracts management
What we offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We regularly review our benefits to ensure we are supporting our employees appropriately. Currently, we offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- A Work from Home policy that sees you in the office typically 40% of your time.
- 30 days ‘working from anywhere’ policy
- Wellbeing support through Apps and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Share save and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover costs relating to the Certificate of Sponsorship and the Immigration Skills Charge only. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements. Please assume you have been unsuccessful if you haven’t heard from us within 4 weeks.