Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Kroger to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in the United States through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
The Maintenance Engineer will report directly to the respective shift assigned Engineering Team Manager. As a Maintenance Engineer you will provide first response to engineering fault conditions, both reactive and planned maintenance activities as well as being involved in continuous improvement projects within our state of the art, automated Customer Fulfillment Center (CFC).
The Maintenance Engineer’s day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Reacting to MHE breakdowns (both mechanical and electrical), performing trouble-shooting to identify the fault, analyzing the issue, and completing the fix in a timely manner to keep operation downtime to a minimum.
- Keeping accurate records such as work activities, tasks carried out, parts used through stores, etc.
- Perform assembly and sub-assembly repairs by following written work instructions, blueprints and schematics.
- Work closely with other Maintenance Engineers to find ways to increase machine reliability on existing and new equipment, diagnose equipment breakdowns and action repairs ensuring the direction of labor and planned engineering activities fully support the operation.
- Provide first-line support to the Operation through monitoring the activities and efficiency of the Grid and Robots and escalate problems to Engineering Operations for inspection.
- Investigate any stoppage on the grid which pauses the Operation and see through to resolution, including escalating to off-site support and remotely connecting to the Robots.
- Monitor the status of both the Robots and the physical grid including investigating locked grid cells and general Robot health.
- Completing quality inspections to ensure work is completed to a safe standard.
The Maintenance Engineer may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
If hired for a "Pre Go Live / Start Up" site, the initial 6 to 9 months will involve training and most likely require some travel in order to obtain the training from another site in North America. In the event the operation is undergoing its initial startup, the daily responsibilities for this role may be different while supporting the needs of a facility in its initial stages of starting its operations. Once the facility is commissioned, the roles defined in this job description will become the daily responsibilities for the Maintenance Engineer.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum of two years of relevant work experience in the mechanical or electrical field.
- An Associate’s or Vocational degree in electrical or mechanical related discipline or advanced training with a minimum of three years experience preferred.
- Experience carrying out electrical or mechanical maintenance to include predictive and preventive planned maintenance.
- Experience diagnosing and documenting equipment breakdowns, resolving issues and handling repairs.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, able to impart knowledge effectively to others.
- Good organization skills, able to prioritize.
- Must be comfortable working at heights.
- Good technical ability relating to automation hardware and software.
- Sound analytical skills with an eye for detail; good problem solving ability and a practical approach.
- Experience of working with computerized maintenance management systems(CMMS) preferred.
- Numerate and PC literate including Word, Excel etc.
- Flexible to working a shift-based pattern including nights and weekends
This role will require flexibility due to the facility being a 24/7 operation and a shift pattern will be utilized that will require working days, nights and weekends.
- Ascending or descending ladders and stairs.
- Moving between worksites to accomplish tasks in tight and confined spaces.
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for a prolonged period.
- Adjusting or moving objects up to 30 pounds in all directions. Work that includes moving objects up to 100 pounds or more.
- Communicating with others to exchange information.
- Low temperatures and noisy environments.
You will be based at the customer fulfillment center in Aurora, Colorado.
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.